Gallery: Syracuse falls 1-0 to Mercryhurst

first_imgLess than 24 hours after losing 4-2 to the Lakers, Syracuse (0-3, 0-2 College Hockey America) lost 1-0 on Saturday afternoon against the defending CHA champions Mercyhurst (2-4, 2-0). The Orange killed off 10 power plays but couldn’t find the back of the net in the loss. Comments Published on October 13, 2018 at 9:08 pmcenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img

Mason City woman pleads guilty to federal charges of stealing drugs from patients

first_imgMASON CITY — A Mason City woman accused of federal charges of stealing drugs and illegally accessing patient information has pleaded guilty.32-year-old Samantha Rogers pleaded guilty on Monday in US District Court in Cedar Rapids to the charges of acquiring a controlled substance by fraud, wrongfully obtaining health information for personal gain, and making false statements related to health care manners. Federal authorities say the charges stemmed from activity between October of 2017 and May of last year.According to the criminal complaint, Rogers was fired in January 2017 from the IOOF home after allegedly being caught on video taking prescription pills from the purse of another employee. She continued to be employed at Mercy-North Iowa when a nursing aide reported pain pills missing from her purse in May 2017.Rogers then was accused of accessing patient records after being hired to work at Northern Iowa Therapy in Waverly in September 2017 in attempts to obtain or steal prescription medication. She’s suspected of taking a patient’s unused Percocet and of breaking into another patient’s home in Forest City in a search for drugs.No sentencing date has been scheduled.last_img read more

Futsal Super League: Park in must win situation as Yeak hope to seal title

first_imgPark (Yellow and Black) are six points behind leaders Yeak Kabowa. (PHOTOS/FILE)Futsal Super League 2018/19International Futsal Courts, Mengo Thursday, 16-05-2019-Equator vs Parakeets @6pm-Dream vs Bajim @7pm-Typhoon vs Aidenal @7pm-Nomad vs Elephants @8pm-Park vs Kabowa United @8pm-Yeak Kabowa vs Yap Stars @9pm-Mengo City vs Crown @9pmMENGO – The Futsal Super League returns on Thursday afternoon with 7 games at the International Futsal Courts in Mengo.With the league winding down, second placed Park have it all to do if they are to stay in contention for the title.Currently, they sit six points behind leaders Yeak and with three games to play, their is no room for error.“The league is soon ending but the bottom line is that we still have a shot at winning it, says Park captain Iddi Babu ahead of the game.“Six points is a huge margin in Futsal but one which is catchable if result go your way.“Our role is to win all our remaining games and pray that Yeak messes up big time.“However, even if we don’t win it, it will be no problem as we have had a good season.Park will be in action at 8pm against troubled Kabowa United.Kabowa have been in terrible form lately, losing all of their last four games.For Thursday’s game, they have captain Mahad Mugerwa returning from suspension and will be hoping he can inspire them to unlikely three points.In their last games, Yeak defeated Yap Stars 3-2 while Kabowa who are second from bottom, lost 5-1 against Dream.At 9pm leaders Yeak Kabowa will be in action against Yap Stars.The Kabowa based side know that a win coupled by Park’s inability to defeat Kabowa United, will see then crowned champions.On 57 points, they hold a healthy six point caution at the top of the standings.Currently in scintillating form, Yeak will be expected to take care of bottom side, Yap Stars.Elsewhere, Dream will be hoping to continue their late season form when they take on stubborn Bajim at 7pm.The defending champions have won all their last three games and are fancying their chances of making it four.Dream are on a three match winning streak.“We are targeting victory in all our remaining games so that we end the season on a high, said Dream captain Jamal Muyingo ahead of the game.“We know we cannot win the League but finishing as high as we can on the table would be ok.“So starting with Bajim, we very much want to defeat them along with the other two remaining teams and see where we finish at the end of it all.However, the game will not be easy as they face a spirited Bajim side.Bajim are a side that possess a ‘never say die’ attitude, winning more points from losing positions than any other, this season.Coming off a hard fought 2-1 win against Nomad last week, Bajim will also feel they can win the game.Dream start the day in 4th with 41 points while Bajim are 5th, two points behind the defending champions.In the other games, Equator takes on Parakeets, Typhoon entertains Aidenal, Nomad locks horns with Elephants while Mengo City and Crown do battle.Shaffic Avemah now tops the scoring charts with 38 goals, two ahead of teammate Enock Ssebagala.Comments Tags: DreamFutsal Super LeagueParkYeak Kabowalast_img read more

Alleged bribes over half a million ex Minister Shane Gibson given bail

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, August 4, 2017 – Nassau – Over half a million dollars in alleged bribes is what the former Labour Minister and once Hurricane Matthew Czar was charged in connection with at Magistrate’s Court on Thursday.   The charges against Shane Gibson, who limped and hopped his way into the court house were concerned with Jonathan Ash and included 16 counts of bribery, two counts of conspiracy to commit bribery, two counts of conspiracy to commit extortion and 15 counts of extortion – where it is alleged that between January 2 and April 30, 2017, Gibson extorted $250,000 from Mr Ash.As it relates to  the bribery challenges, it is alleged Gibson solicited more than $250,000 from Mr Ash between February 2 and March 30, 2017; the conspiracy to extort is alleged to have happened between January 2 and April 30, 2017.   The cumulative figure comes to a reported $610,000 in alleged kickbacks to the former Minister for the National Insurance Board.The suspicious leg injury of Shane Gibson which is shown in cell phone and media videos of his arrival at court on Thursday was said to be caused by a boating accident.    Gibson is represented by Damian Gomez, QC, Wayne Munroe, QC, Anthony McKinney, QC, and Alex Dorsett.  He is released on $40,000 bail with sureties and was allowed to keep his travel documents, will not have to check in with Police and is due back in court on October 3.#MagneticMediaNews#ShaneGibsongivenbail Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #ShaneGibsongivenbaillast_img read more

Apple allegedly plotted to hurt Qualcomm years before it sued the company

first_img Aug 31 • iPhone XR vs. iPhone 8 Plus: Which iPhone should you buy? Apple and Qualcomm settle: Here’s what it means for your next iPhone Apple and Qualcomm settle licensing dispute amid trial’s opening arguments Intel says it will exit 5G phone modems just hours after Apple, Qualcomm settle Apple, Qualcomm make opening arguments just before settlement is unveiled Apple, Qualcomm head into latest legal battle, with billions at stake reading • Apple allegedly ‘plotted’ to hurt Qualcomm years before it sued the company 34 Originally published at 10:14 a.m. PTUpdate at 11:27 a.m. PT: Adds comments from Apple’s opening argument Apple and Qualcomm battled over licensing fees for two years. Viva Tung/CNET Before Apple ever filed suit against Qualcomm, the iPhone maker allegedly wanted to hurt the company. And it put those plans down in documents obtained by Qualcomm as the two companies prepared to meet in court.  Slides with details of those documents — viewed by reporters in court, including CNET — have now been made public. You can see the full slides here (and below). In September 2014, a document from Apple titled “QCOM – Future scenarios” detailed ways the company could exert pressure on Qualcomm, including by working with Intel on 4G modems for the iPhone. Apple and its manufacturing partners didn’t actually file suit against Qualcomm until more than two years later. A second page of that document, titled “QCM – Options and recommendations (2/2)” revealed that Apple considered it “beneficial to wait to provoke a patent fight until after the end of 2016,” when its contracts with Qualcomm would expire.  “They were plotting it for two years,” Qualcomm attorney Evan Chesler, of the firm Cravath, Swaine & Moore, said during his opening arguments last week. “It was all planned in advance. Every bit of it.” apple-slideAn Apple internal document talked about ways to pressure Qualcomm. Screenshot by Shara Tibken/CNET The news came out during Qualcomm’s opening statement in last week’s aborted trial. News broke of a settlement before Chesler had wrapped up his opening remarks. CNET was in the courtroom for the opening arguments. Because the two parties settled, Apple never had a chance to rebut Qualcomm’s claims in its opening arguments.Apple in January 2017 had accused Qualcomm of anticompetitive practices that have raised chip prices, restricted competition and hurt customer choice. The company and its manufacturing partners had argued that Qualcomm’s royalty fees, which Qualcomm based on a customer’s entire device, were too high and that they should pay only for the company’s modem chips. Qualcomm, the world’s biggest mobile chipmaker, had countered that the iPhone wouldn’t be possible without its technology, and it deserved to be paid for its innovation. The settlement marked a big win for Qualcomm, which could have been forced to change its entire business model had it lost to Apple. The agreement is also a victory for consumers, who will once again have access to fast Qualcomm modems — including ones already compatible with existing 5G networks. Apple in its opening arguments said that Qualcomm’s licensing practices have hurt competitors like Intel. And Qualcomm’s policy of no license, no chips — it won’t provide a handset maker with modems until it signs a licensing agreement — “allows them to double dip.””This case is about the fact that Qualcomm has used its monopoly … to set unfair prices and stifle competition and dictate terms to some of the biggest, most powerful companies in the world, that rational companies would never agree to in a million years,” said Ruffin Cordell, an attorney with Fish & Richardson who’s representing Apple. Exerting commercial pressure The unknown Apple team behind the September 2014 document recommended applying “commercial pressure against Qualcomm” by switching to Intel modems in iPhones. Apple ultimately started using Intel modems in about half of its iPhones with devices that came out in 2016. In the US, it embedded Intel modems in AT&T and T-Mobile models of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, but it still used Qualcomm in versions for Verizon and Sprint. Phones Components Tech Industry See All Tags Aug 31 • iPhone 11, Apple Watch 5 and more: The final rumors • Aug 31 • Best places to sell your used electronics in 2019 Patents Qualcomm 5G 4G LTE Apple Share your voice Aug 31 • Your phone screen is gross. Here’s how to clean it Comments Qualcomm, for its part, knew by June 2014 about Apple’s plans to use Intel chips in 2016, according to an internal email from its president, Cristiano Amon, that was displayed during opening arguments. “Decision already has been made and beyond the point of no return on the 2nd source (Intel) for the 2016 premium tier,” Amon wrote to CEO Steve Mollenkopf, CTO Jim Thompson, General Counsel Don Rosenberg and then-licensing chief Derek Aberle. Apple “said that as a result of our policies, other chip companies can’t compete with us,” Chesler said during his opening arguments. “Where did Intel get the chips from? From god? They made them using our technology.” Another Apple internal document from June 2016 said the company wanted to “create leverage by building pressure three ways,” according to a slide shown in court. The internal document said, in part, that Apple wanted to “hurt Qualcomm financially” and “put Qualcomm’s business model at risk.” The best patents Qualcomm supplies network connectivity chips for Apple’s iPhones and is the world’s biggest provider of mobile chips. Its technology is essential for connecting phones to cellular networks. The company derives a significant portion of its revenue from licensing its inventions to hundreds of device makers, with the fee based on the value of the phone, not the components.  Qualcomm owns patents related to 3G, 4G and 5G phones — as well as other features like software — so any handset makers building a device that connects to the networks has to pay it a licensing fee, even if they don’t use Qualcomm’s chips.  Apple had purchased Qualcomm modems for its iPhones for years until the falling out. One 2009 memo said Qualcomm is “widely considered the owner of the strongest patent portfolio for essential and relevant patents for wireless standards.”  “Engineering wise, they have been the best,” Johny Srouji, Apple’s head of semiconductors, said in a March 2015 email.  The earlier memo also noted that while more than half of Qualcomm’s patent portfolio was communications and silicon engineering, it “has more significant holdings in other areas, including many areas relevant to Apple.” That included media processing, non-cellular communications and hardware. Apple had argued in its lawsuit that Qualcomm’s technology was only used in its modem and it shouldn’t be forced to pay Qualcomm royalties for innovations it had nothing to do with.  “What makes your smartphone smart is what the people up the road in La Jolla invented,” Chesler said in court, referring to the San Diego-area town where Qualcomm’s offices are based. “The reason they pay us more is because what we created is worth more.” See also Applelast_img read more

Homicide investigators find remains in Cancun Hotel Zone

first_imgCancun, Q.R. — Authorities in Cancun have removed remains from the Nichupte Lagoon they say could belong to missing student Sahir Alexis López Ruiz who was abducted from a Cancun nightclub earlier this month. Ministerial Police have begun an investigation into whether or not the two recent deaths are in fact, related to the Palazzo case. Two men were initially abducted from the Palazzo nightclub on July 11, however, one was released and has since returned to his family. Both young men are from the state of Nuevo León.Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) The remains were discovered at Kilometer 27 of Kukulcán Boulevard in the Cancun Hotel Zone by officials who were sweeping the area for signs of the missing man. Their investigation led them there after they were alerted to two dead bodies in Region 91 of Cancun just after midnight Monday. center_img Sniffer dogs accompanied local homicide detectives in their Monday afternoon search. Investigators swept the banks of the lagoon from Kilometer 26 to 28. It was at Kilometer 27 where the remains were found. There has not been any official word on if those remains belong to López Ruiz. The two deceased are believed either related to, or responsible for, the disappearance of López Ruiz. Beside the bodies police found a note that read “Here are those responsible for the disappearance and death of Shair Alexis Lopez Ruiz in Palazzo. His body was taken into the Nichupte lagoon at approximately kilometer 27”last_img read more