Gear Review: OGIO Endurance Athletic Bag

first_imgThere’s a slightly under-the-radar bag company out there that came to my attention last Fall as I was training for long road rides. They manufacture bags for everyone from golfers to X-Games athletes, triathletes, gym rats, and your everyday type athletes too.protection_caseThe Endurance Athletic Bag collection is available in three sizes (5.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 9.0)
, but I’ve found the big daddy 9.0 is the way to go. Each piece is designed with thoughtfulness to maximize efficiency both in packing for a race or training day and also in transition zones for triathletes.Various compartments store everything from nutrition and hydration to shoes, helmet, clothing and electronics.Additional pockets built in to the 9.0 model include: changing mat compartment, nutrition organization panel, staging area hanger clip and race day checklist sleeve. There’s a very cool zippered bottom for holding a wetsuit or wet/dirty clothing. And I also really like the external water-bottle pockets.dual_waterbottleThe 9.0 can be worn as a backpack or thrown over the shoulder. Colors available include the new Gray/Electric, Magenta, Atomic, Acid, and Black. Materials are durable as one needs and expects in a performance bag like this.The bags retail for $90 – $160 and are available at sporting goods stores and online at OGIO.com.Runner lifelast_img read more

T&T head coach hints at role for retiring Kenwyne Jones

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Trinidad and Tobago head coach, Dennis Lawrence, has left the door open for retiring national forward Kenwyne Jones to play a role in the country’s development programme.Speaking following Jones’ shock retirement from the game earlier this week, Lawrence said the 33-year-old possessed an abundance of experience which could be used to help develop the new generation of players.“It’s not just about being on the football pitch. People play different roles and sometimes it’s off the football pitch,” Jones told the Guardian newspaper here. prolificKenwyne has an undisputed amount of experience and it’s something he can pass on to this generation so as long as Kenwyne is around and willing, he will always have a part to play with me because I think we cannot afford to let these type of people walk out of our football.”Jones played 89 times for T&T, scoring 23 goals, and was involved in the national team as recently as their failed qualifying campaign for next year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia.He was also a member of the historic squad which qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, while suiting up for three CONCACAF Gold Cups.The six-foot, two-inch striker played extensively in the English Premier League, representing the likes of Sunderland and Stoke City, and also turned out for Bournemouth and Cardiff City in short stints.Lawrence said it was this type of quality record that was hard to ignore.“He played the highest level you could get in world football. This guy has been involved in the English Premier League, he’s been at a World Cup and he’s done himself no in-favours whatsoever; so I think he’s done well and I’m delighted for him,” said Lawrence, who has played alongside Jones in the past during his time as a national defender.“We need to focus on every positive thing he’s done for himself, he’s done for T&T football and let that be the legacy that Kenwyne has left.”last_img read more

Petition condemns IR professor’s presentation

first_imgA petition has been launched by StopAntisemitism.org to condemn a USC professor for categorizing Israeli zionists as a terrorist group in a class presentation on Oct. 26, 2017. International relations professor David Kang said the slide was meant to discuss people who were considered terrorists by their opponents and didn’t reflect his personal opinion. Photo from Den Martinez on Flickr.International relations professor David Kang teaches IR 210: International Relations Introductory Analysis, a mandatory course for all international relations majors and minors and a GE Category C course. In a lecture, a slide titled “Who are terrorists?” listed nine supposed terrorist groups and individuals, including the Colombian rebel group FARC, the Tamil Tigers, Chinese communist leader Mao Zedong and former North Korean leader Kim Jong-il. Israeli zionists were third on the list.“The slide in question was intended to point out that national heroes of all types are called terrorists by their opponents,” Kang said in an email to the Daily Trojan. “Every group listed is a hero to some people and criticized by others.”Earlier this week, StandWithUs, a pro-Israel organization, promoted the petition on Facebook, helping it garner 7,871 signatures at the time of publication.“By creating an equation between ‘Israeli Zionists’ and terrorist groups, Professor Kang has abused his authority — teaching a mandatory class — and has created a hostile environment for Pro-Israel and Jewish students at USC,” StandWithUs said in its Facebook post. The post has been shared almost 400 times and has received hundreds of comments. The petition calls upon President C. L. Max Nikias and Provost Michael Quick, in addition to the rest of the USC community, to explicitly condemn Kang. “We would like USC to speak out against the bigotry Professor Kang expressed and take concrete steps to ensure that anti-Israel sentiments and other forms of bigotry do not have a home on campus,” the petition said. In response to the petition circulating social media, Kang has been working with the Rabbi of Chabad and the Executive Director of Hillel on an official statement to be published in the next few days.“There are real racists out there,” Kang said. “To be attacked by ‘friendly fire’ is really missing the target. I find it surreal that I am being attacked for something I didn’t say and don’t believe.”According to Quick, the core principles of any university include upholding academic freedom, and statements made by faculty members are not endorsed by the University.“Indeed, we sometimes profoundly disagree with those statements,” Quick said in an email to the Daily Trojan. “Nevertheless, we protect and support their right to express those views. We also support everyone’s right to sign on to any petition they wish, but such expressions and calls for censorship will not be used by the University to influence a faculty member’s scholarly pursuits.”last_img read more

Big Ten meltdown: Badgers sacked by Buckeyes in conference championship game

first_imgINDIANAPOLIS — Right from the start of the game, the Ohio State Buckeyes were the better team Saturday in Indianapolis.The No. 5 Buckeyes (12-1, 9-0 Big Ten) – behind third-string quarterback Cardale Jones who threw for 257 yards and three touchdowns – shut out No. 13 Wisconsin (10-3, 7-2 Big Ten) 59-0 to claim the Big Ten championship Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.“I don’t want to see the blame go the players,” Wisconsin head coach Gary Andersen said. “I don’t want to see the blame go to any of the other coaches. Put all the blame on me and I failed them today.”Jones, who made his first start of the season Saturday after Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett was injured last weekend against Michigan, put to rest any doubt about whether or not a third-string quarterback could handle the big stage.On the first drive of the game the sophomore quarterback – who took home MVP honors for his performance – led the Buckeyes on a six-play, 77-yard drive that ended in a 39-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Devin Smith and put Ohio State on top 7-0 just under two minutes into the game.Jones completed 12 of his 17 pass attempts over the course of the game and hooked up with wide receiver Devin Smith for all three of his touchdowns. Smith finished with four catches for a game-high 137 yards.Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott also gashed the otherwise stout Wisconsin defense for 220 yards on 20 carries and two touchdowns. Ezekiel’s first touchdown came on the Buckeyes’ second drive of the game when he took a handoff straight up the middle and ran 81 yards for the touchdown.After Elliott’s touchdown run, the Buckeyes scored on three of their next four drives which came on a Sean Nuernberger field goal, a 44-yard pass from Jones to Smith and an Ezekiel touchdown run from 14 yards out.The one drive Ohio State was forced to punt in that strech, Buckeye defensive end and Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year Joey Bosa forced Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon to fumble on the ensuing UW drive, recovered the fumble himself and returned it four yards for the touchdown.The touchdown put Ohio State up 38-0 with 36 seconds left in the first half where the score would remain at halftime as the Buckeyes exited to loud cheers from the large Ohio State contingent that made up the 60,229 at Lucas Oil Stadium.“That just took the momentum away completely,” Gordon said of the fumble. “I don’t think we had any [momentum], but if we had any ounce, that right there sealed the deal.”In the second half, the Buckeyes continued to shutout the Wisconsin offense while the defense continued to allow the Ohio State offense to score.Jones found Smith in the end zone for the final time in the third quarter when the two hooked up for a 42-yard touchdown pass. Running back Curtis Samuel added two rushing scores in the fourth quarter for the Buckeyes to extend Ohio State’s lead to 59-0 which tied Wisconsin’s largest loss since they lost to the Buckeyes 59-0 in 1979.Overall the Buckeyes outgained the Badgers 558-258 and ran for 301 yards to Wisconsin’s 71. It was a surprising result for a Wisconsin defense that came into Saturday’s game second in the nation in yards allowed per game (260.3) and ranked fourth in the nation in scoring defense (16.8).“It’s a really bad feeling,” Wisconsin defensive back Sojourn Shelton said. “We didn’t expect to get to this game and play the way that we did. It’s a very bad feeling.”“I felt like the defense today was in some parts playing a little timid,” UW senior inside linebacker Marcus Trotter said. “We’re a bunch of guys who are blue-collar workers with a chip on our shoulder. Something about today, we didn’t have that attitude. Me and the other guys really try to implement that today. I put that on myself.”Offensively, the Badgers couldn’t do much of anything or find any sort of rhythm. Quarterback Joel Stave was just 17-of-43 for 187 yards and threw three interceptions. Gordon, the nation’s leading rusher, was held to just 76 yards on 26 carries. Wide receiver Alex Erickson hauled in seven passes for a team-high 83 yards.Eleven of Wisconsin’s 15 offensive drives went five plays or less and seven of those drives were three-and-outs. UW was just 5-of-19 on third down.“We got beat,” Stave said. “[Ohio State’s] a good team and we just couldn’t really get anything going or get into a rhythm. They got the best of us.”“This is not Wisconsin football,” Gordon said. “This is not how we play. I’ve never been a part of anything like that.“It’s an embarrassment.”But the season isn’t over for Wisconsin despite the upsetting loss to Ohio State. The Badgers will head to the Outback Bowl on Jan. 1 to take on Auburn. It will be UW’s 19th straight bowl game and will be a shot at redemption for a Wisconsin team that doesn’t have a single player on its team who has won a bowl game.“As disappointing as this is, there’s a lot of positives from this season and we just have to look at those, learn from this week, and get as much as we can out of bowl prep,” Stave said.last_img read more

RTU Coach Fumes at home match ban

first_imgHead Coach of Real Tamale United Mohammed Gargo says he is not pleased with the Ghana Football Association’s decision to suspend his team from playing the rest of their premier league games at the Tamale Stadium. The decision by the GFA to suspend the premier league returnees was arrived following two separate cases of violence exhibited by the management and supporters of Tamale based side during their premier league games with Aduana Stars and SC Medeama. But Coach Mohammed Gargo disagrees with the decision and says it’s unfair.“If you look at what is happening to RTU, i don’t think it is fair to ban us from playing at the Tamale Stadium”. He told JOY Sports“A similar incident happened in Kumasi during the Kotoko, Lions game, why is Kotoko not banned? But why with RTU is all over the country”.“They are making us work tirelessly for nothing and when you talk you become the number one enemy because you stand for the truth, i mean is not fair for something like this to happen in Ghana football”last_img read more