Forest set to confirm Kane deal

first_imgNottingham Forest are expected to confirm the signing of youngster Todd Kane on loan from Chelsea later today.The 21-year-old right-back has been recalled from a loan spell at Bristol City and Chelsea are keen for him to play in the Championship.Stuart Pearce gave Kane a call-up when the Forest boss was in charge of the England Under-21s and is set to sign him for the rest of the season.Kane, who made seven appearances for City but only one league start, previously played in the second tier while on loan at Blackburn and before that was loaned to Preston.See also:Chelsea’s Kane expected to join ForestKane’s loan move to Forest is confirmedFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img

Brand South Africa in good shape: Zuma

first_imgThe smooth running of last week’s local government elections once more demonstrated South Africa’s growth as a democracy and how it continues to attract the respect of the international community, President Jacob Zuma said after a meeting with the board of Brand South Africa on Tuesday.“For us, the elections, like many events we have held before, are once again proof of how we can help market this brand called South Africa,” Zuma said after the meeting in Pretoria.“To be a democratic country is very important because now we have people who are able to link their vote to their living conditions, and that markets SA in terms of its democracy.”The elections also helped South Africa to boost its international marketing both politically and economically, Zuma said.The meeting, also attended by businesspeople and Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane, discussed at length the need for business and government to work together to market the successes of the country domestically and to the world.Established in 2002, Brand South Africa is tasked with developing and implementing proactive and coordinated marketing and communication strategies for the country.Brand South Africa chairperson Anita Soni said South Africa’s advanced telecommunications and research infrastructure made it one of the most attractive and competent countries in the world.“What we discussed in this meeting is that, considering the things we have, it is very important moving forward that we as South Africans become brand ambassadors for our country, because we have a lot to be proud of,” Soni said. “But it will take all of us to achieve that,” she added.Zuma used the meeting to appoint Geoffrey Rothschild, Moss Leoka, Sindi Mabaso-Koyana and Ramasela Moloto, all from the private sector, as the new members of the Brand South Africa board.New government representatives on the board are Presidency Director-General Cassius Lubisi, Trade and Industry Director-General Lionel October, Arts and Culture Director-General Sibusiso Xaba, and Timothy Scholtz from South African Tourism.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Springboks grind out win over Pumas

first_img26 August 2013The Springboks maintained their lead in the Castle Lager Rugby Championship by beating the Pumas in Mendoza on Saturday. However, after winning by 60 points in Soweto, South Africa managed only a 22-17 victory away from home.Backed by a passionate crowd, Argentina outscored South Africa two tries to one, but the unerring boot of Morne Steyn, who landed five penalties and a conversion without a miss, saw the Boks secure a win without a bonus point.“I will never complain about a victory, but the truth is we were not good today,” coach Heyneke Meyer said after the match.‘Guts and character’“It took a lot of guts and character to win here and for that I’m proud of the players. However, we all realise we will have to improve a lot if we’re going to be competitive in Brisbane and Auckland.“We always knew this was going to be a very tough match,” he added, “and that the Pumas were going to be a different opponent here than they were back in Soccer City. We learnt some very valuable lessons from this match.“We will keep our feet on the ground and our heads down and continue to work hard in the next few weeks.”Captain Jean de Villiers commented: “It was very tough out there. A year ago we drew this game, but today we won.‘We’re happy”“Although the performance was not up to the standards we set ourselves, we’re happy with the four points we got here.”Argentina had made five changes for the clash, while the Springboks were unchanged. One would have expected a convincing win for Meyer’s charges, but the South Americans played as if their 73-13 loss in Soweto had never happened.They took the game to the Boks at the breakdown especially and succeeded in dominating both territory and possession. Their commitment was unquestionable, although at times it crossed the line.Foul playAfter the match loose forwards Leonardo Senatore and Pablo Matera were cited for foul play after the match commissioner felt that both had committed red card offences during the game.Senatore is alleged to have bitten Eben Etzebeth. Luckily for him, the replay system went on the blink when referee Steve Walsh asked to have the incident looked at. Matera is alleged to have made contact with the eyes of Francois Louw.South Africa struggled to loosen the home team’s hold on the ball as the Pumas exhibited some fine handling skills with short passes, which were then backed up by their feisty attitude at the breakdown.Slow ballThey also managed to slow down the Springboks’ ball and the slower pace of delivery from Ruan Pienaar was in stark contrast to the brilliant, fast and accurate service provided by Fourie du Preez when he came on in Soweto. Pienaar should not take the blame alone. He was not protected well and a focus on the rucks and mauls will no doubt be on coach Meyer’s to do list in the coming week.While the South Africans scrum was solid, it was not dominant like it had been in Soweto, and the lineout, so assured at the FNB Stadium, was less assured this time around.On a positive note, although the Springboks trailed from early on, and a real chance existed that they might lose, their performance, while below the standard they set themselves, exhibited far more direction than they showed in 2012 when they struggled to a 16-16 draw in Mendoza.They also held the Pumas scoreless in the second half, apparently after some harsh words were shared the in change room.BenchIn addition, the South African bench is one which instills confidence and the interchanging of players, done at the right time, lends another arrow to the green and gold bow. The current team is not made up of 15 players plus extras, it is a full 23-man squad, with everyone a contributor.They will all need to be contributors for the tests that lies ahead. They face Australia in Brisbane on 7 September, followed by New Zealand in Auckland a week later, before returning home tests against the Wallabies and All Blacks.Past resultsIn seven matches in Brisbane, the Springboks have yet to win. Furthermore, the results have not been close. Australia won 30-13 in 2010, 21-6 in 2009, 49-0 in 2006 and 29-9 in 2003. A strong showing, a win even, would mark a satisfying milestone for coach Meyer and his players.South Africa last won at Eden Park in 1937, although they played to an 18-18 draw in 1994. Recent results, though, have been heavily in favour of the All Blacks: 32-12 in 2010, 26-15 in 2001 and 55-35 in 1997.Again, an opportunity awaits the the Boks, and a win in either Australia or New Zealand will do wonders for their Rugby Championship challenge.last_img read more

Injured Kyrgios pulls out of Wimbledon opener

first_imgAustralia’s Nick Kyrgios walks through Wimbledon tennis club wearing a newly released Tottenham Hotspur T-Shirt in southwest London on July 1, 2017, prior to the start of the tennis tournament on July 3. (Photo by ADRIAN DENNIS / AFP)LONDON, United Kingdom — Nick Kyrgios suffered more injury woe as the Australian was forced to retire from his Wimbledon first round match against Pierre-Hugues Herbert on Monday.Kyrgios admitted last week he would go into Wimbledon only “60-65 percent” fit as he struggled to recover from the left hip injury that forced him to pull out of Queen’s Club last month.ADVERTISEMENT Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games Palace: Up to MTRCB, DFA chief to pull out ‘Abominable’ from cinemas PLAY LIST 00:54Palace: Up to MTRCB, DFA chief to pull out ‘Abominable’ from cinemas00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Madison Keys wins opening match at Wimbledon LATEST STORIES Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucenacenter_img A Kyrgios double fault in the eighth game gave Herbert the break that gifted him the opening set.Kyrgios, then ranked 144th, burst onto the scene at Wimbledon in 2014 when he defeated then world number one Rafael Nadal en route to the quarter-finals.With the injury impeding his movement, there was no sign of that brilliance against Herbert and when the 70th-ranked Frenchman took the second set, Kyrgios called for treatment.He spent several minutes speaking to the doctor before telling Herbert he was going to have to retire.ADVERTISEMENT The 22-year-old had reached at least the fourth round in all three of his previous Wimbledon appearances.But after losing in the second round at both the Australian and French Opens this year, Kyrgios’s miserable 2017 continued as the world number 20 lost the first two sets 6-3, 6-4 against Herbert before deciding to call it quits due to the nagging injury.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsHerbert will face France’s Benoit Paire or Brazilian Rogerio Dutra Silva in the second round.From the moment he stepped onto Court Three wearing long white leggings under his shorts, Kyrgios didn’t look comfortable and he spent most of the first set trying to flex and stretch his leg. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ View comments Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera What ‘missteps’?last_img read more

10 months agoKeane slams Man Utd after Liverpool thumping: These players not good enough

first_imgKeane slams Man Utd after Liverpool thumping: These players not good enoughby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United legend Roy Keane slammed the standard of the players after defeat at Liverpool.Mourinho’s team looked lost throughout the encounter and speaking after the game United legend Keane questioned the quality within his former team.“I certainly believe a lot of the players playing for Man United today aren’t good enough for Man United,” Keane told Sky Sports. “I really believe that. They are good players, but not for Man United.”Again you look over the last year or two, the league campaign, to be so far behind the likes of Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham and Chelsea at this moment of time.”We’re on about creativity, but I really think their biggest problem is defensively. You have to try and get some kind of foundation to go forward and were on about scoring a goal, you’ve got to try keep some clean sheets. They are all over the place.“I think if Liverpool were really at it today, towards the last 10 and 15 minutes, they could have scored four or five.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

10 months agoBurnley boss Dyche pleased with Hendrick deal

first_imgBurnley boss Dyche pleased with Hendrick dealby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJeff Hendrick has signed a new deal with Burnley.Hendrick’s existing contract was due to expire at the end of the current season.But Burnley have activated an option for an additional year’s stay for the former Derby County midfielder.He started 29 Premier League games last season to help Sean Dyche’s side finish seventh in the Premier League to qualify for Europe.”He’s done well for us,” said Dyche. “We have asked a lot of him. We have used him in a number of different positions that sometimes aren’t natural to him and over time he has delivered good performances for us.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

10 months agoTottenham attacker Son: We’re now ready to sustain title tilt

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham attacker Son: We’re now ready to sustain title tiltby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham attacker Son Heung-min says they’re better equipped to mount a title challenge this season.Son believes Spurs learned ­valuable lessons from previous title challenges when they fell short, ­particularly in 2016 when Leicester won the Premier League.The 26-year-old said: “Every season we learn something because we’ve been so close, so, so close and we’re still young.“I want to just believe and that’s my main concept. I want to believe we can do it, we deserve to do it and we are looking forward to doing it every week.“It’s a long, long season and we have to go a long way and that’s why we have to be focused on the next match.” last_img read more

10 months agoLiverpool teenager Hoever will become ‘top, top player’ – Milner

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Liverpool teenager Hoever will become ‘top, top player’ – Milnerby Freddie Taylor10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveJames Milner believes Liverpool teammate Ki-Jana Hoever will become a ‘top,top player’ in the future.The 16-year-old made his senior debut in Monday night’s loss to Wolves in the FA CupAsked about Hoever, Milner said: “I think it’s good for the young boys to come in and get that experience. It’s not good to taste defeat but you normally learn more in a defeat than you do in a win.”I think you’ve got to look at those boys today and say how well they’ve done. Ki coming on after a minute and playing like he did [was] absolutely outstanding.”He’s going to be a top, top player you can see that straight away [with] his temperament [and] he’s comfortable on the ball.” last_img read more

a month agoPotter defends playing Brighton kids for Cup defeat

first_imgPotter defends playing Brighton kids for Cup defeatby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveGraham Potter has defended playing Brighton’s youngsters in Wednesday’s loss to Aston Villa.The Seagulls were knocked out of the Carabao Cup after Potter made 10 changes to the line-up that drew with Newcastle United on Saturday.Asked by The Argus whether his line-up was out of choice or necessity, Potter said: “A bit of both, I would say.”With Chelsea on Saturday, we have got a couple of lads sick, a couple of players who are recovering (from injury) and quite close but we just thought it was too soon for them to play.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

Unprecedented Year for Jamaica on World Stage – Minister Johnson Smith

first_img Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith, says that Jamaica is having a landmark year in terms of its regional and international engagements.She cited, among other things, the country’s participation in the Outreach Session of the Group of Seven (G7) Summit held from June 8 to 9 in Quebec, Canada, and the G7 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held earlier in the year.She noted that Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, was “heavily reported” in the media for his presentation to the global leaders at the Summit.“This level of participation on the world stage is unprecedented, and, together with the Prime Minister’s undisputed positive engagement and reception, is testimony to the very hard work of the team here at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade,” she said.Minister Johnson Smith was addressing journalists at a press briefing held on Tuesday (June 19) at the offices of the Ministry, 21 Dominica Drive, Kingston 5.She further reported that she recently represented the Caribbean community at the G20 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and the Ministry is engaged in preparatory meetings leading up to a G20 Summit in the South American country later this year, which will be attended by the Prime Minister.Meanwhile, Prime Minister Holness will chair the 39th meeting of the Heads of Government of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM), scheduled to take place in Montego Bay from July 4 to 6.Jamaica will assume a six-month chairmanship of CARICOM from July 1 to December 31, 2018.In delivering the Throne Speech at the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in Gordon House earlier this year, Governor-General, His Excellency the Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen said the chairmanship “will provide Jamaica with an opportunity to influence the Community’s policy direction, development agenda and the regional integration process as well as engage CARICOM member states on the recommendations of the Report of the CARICOM Review Commission”.Minister Johnson Smith informed, further, that Jamaica will be participating in the Quartet of Foreign Ministers of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC), including the EU (European Union) CELAC Ministerial Meeting to be held in Brussels in mid-July.Additionally, she said that Jamaica is presiding over the Council of Ministers of the African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States.“I, myself, am president of the Council of Ministers and our Ambassador Sheila Monteith is Chair of the Committee of Ambassadors in Brussels.” she said. Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator the Hon. Kamina Johnson Smith, says that Jamaica is having a landmark year in terms of its regional and international engagements. She cited, among other things, the country’s participation in the Outreach Session of the Group of Seven (G7) Summit held from June 8 to 9 in Quebec, Canada, and the G7 Foreign Ministers’ Meeting held earlier in the year. Story Highlights She noted that Prime Minister, the Most Hon. Andrew Holness, was “heavily reported” in the media for his presentation to the global leaders at the Summit.last_img read more