Japan badminton king arrives home after fatal car crash

first_img Earlier in the day, he was discharged from hospital in Malaysia, and boarded a plane wearing a dark cap and face mask. An assistant coach, physiotherapist, and badminton official also suffered minor injuries in the highway crash, seen as a blow to Momota’s preparations for this year’s Tokyo Olympics where he will attempt to win gold on home soil to complete a full set of major titles. The accident occurred just hours after he began his 2020 season in style on Sunday with victory over Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen in Kuala Lumpur. Momota had been in Putrajaya public hospital outside the capital Kuala Lumpur since Monday. Kento Momota was discharged from a Malaysian hospital on WednesdayHe will now aim to return to action at the All England Championships on March 11, the secretary general of Japan’s Badminton Association Kinji Zeniya told AFP on Tuesday.Momota, who won a record 11 titles last year, had “extraordinary enthusiasm towards the Olympics” this year in Tokyo, added Zeniya, but urged the gold medal favourite to take time to recuperate fully.“I hope he will do his best without pushing and rushing himself too hard and without being impatient,” said Zeniya.Read Also: Serena Williams, back in the wins, aims to end long Slam record questThe driver was killed at the scene while Momota received cuts to his face and bruising all over his body, Zeniya said, denying previous reports that he had broken his nose and chin.Momota, currently the best player on the planet, enjoyed unrivalled success in 2019, with his title haul including the World Championship, Asia Championship and All England Championship – a dramatic turnaround for a player who had been banned for gambling in 2016.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentThe Best Cars Of All TimeTop 10 Enemies Turned Friends in TVBehind-The-Scenes Selfies From 10 Popular MoviesYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesThe Best Geek Movies Of All TimeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?6 Movies Where A Car Plays A Key Role10 Absurd Ideas That Made Their Inventors Millions Badminton world number one Kento Momota arrived in Japan on Wednesday after being released from a Malaysian hospital following a car crash that killed his driver and left him with minor injuries. Badminton world number one Kento Momota arrived in Japan wearing a face mask after sustaining injuries in a road accident The 25-year-old Japanese, who walked past waiting journalists without making a statement, faces two months out after suffering cuts to his face and multiple bruises when the vehicle carrying him to Kuala Lumpur International Airport crashed in the early hours of Monday.Advertisement Loading… last_img read more

T&T head coach hints at role for retiring Kenwyne Jones

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Trinidad and Tobago head coach, Dennis Lawrence, has left the door open for retiring national forward Kenwyne Jones to play a role in the country’s development programme.Speaking following Jones’ shock retirement from the game earlier this week, Lawrence said the 33-year-old possessed an abundance of experience which could be used to help develop the new generation of players.“It’s not just about being on the football pitch. People play different roles and sometimes it’s off the football pitch,” Jones told the Guardian newspaper here. prolificKenwyne has an undisputed amount of experience and it’s something he can pass on to this generation so as long as Kenwyne is around and willing, he will always have a part to play with me because I think we cannot afford to let these type of people walk out of our football.”Jones played 89 times for T&T, scoring 23 goals, and was involved in the national team as recently as their failed qualifying campaign for next year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia.He was also a member of the historic squad which qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, while suiting up for three CONCACAF Gold Cups.The six-foot, two-inch striker played extensively in the English Premier League, representing the likes of Sunderland and Stoke City, and also turned out for Bournemouth and Cardiff City in short stints.Lawrence said it was this type of quality record that was hard to ignore.“He played the highest level you could get in world football. This guy has been involved in the English Premier League, he’s been at a World Cup and he’s done himself no in-favours whatsoever; so I think he’s done well and I’m delighted for him,” said Lawrence, who has played alongside Jones in the past during his time as a national defender.“We need to focus on every positive thing he’s done for himself, he’s done for T&T football and let that be the legacy that Kenwyne has left.”last_img read more