English football great Terry Butcher quits as Azkals coach before first game

first_imgNadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Peza offers relief to ecozone firms After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Texas gymnastics coach arrested, accused of child sex abuse Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ The shock decision by the 59-year-old — who had spoken ambitiously about taking the Philippines to the World Cup — comes as the Azkals head towards their first Asian Cup in January.Team manager Dan Palami said it was “unfortunate” that the former England manager had cited difficulty in carrying out his plans for the national team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“We understand and respect Mr. Terry Butcher’s decision not to continue with his role as national team coach of the Philippines,” Palami said in a statement.“It is unfortunate, however, that Mr. Butcher had expressed difficulty in executing his plans for the national team program,” he added. MOST READ ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Butcher said he had come to the conclusion that he was unable to build a “robust” programme for the Philippines team.“The vital issue for myself was to carefully build a robust plan to meet the football ambitions of the national team,” he said in a statement to Britain’s Press Association.“Regretfully, I’ve not been able to make this work in the way that I intended and I’ve decided not to continue in this role,” he added.Butcher was named in a shake-up to replace Thomas Dooley, who qualified the team for next year’s Asian Cup and guided them to an all-time high of 111th in the FIFA rankings in May.Ireland’s Scott Cooper, who had been appointed as Butcher’s assistant, will be handling the team as it prepares for its upcoming competitions.ADVERTISEMENT Their next major test will be November’s AFF Suzuki Cup, the Southeast Asian championship, before January’s Asian Cup, where the Philippines are grouped with China, South Korea, and Kyrgyzstan.   /vvpSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. England football great Terry Butcher has stepped down as the Philippines’ head coach without taking charge of a single game, saying he was not “able to make this work”.Butcher, a veteran of three World Cups who has managed in England, Scotland, Wales and Australia, lasted less than 50 days in the job after he was appointed on June 14.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

NU stops Adamson’s run, Ateneo halts skid at UE’s expense

first_imgGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title MANILA, Philippines—National University showed its championship pedigree in clobbering Adamson University in straight sets, 25-22, 25-18, 25-16, in the UAAP Season 81 men’s volleyball tournament Sunday at Smart Araneta Coliseum.The defending champions have now racked up three straight wins after opening their season with a four-set loss to Far Eastern University.ADVERTISEMENT Bryan Bagunas, Season 80’s Finals MVP, led the Bulldogs with 24 points while James Natividad and Angelo Almendras combined for 11 points.The Soaring Falcons’ loss saw them drop their first game of the season to tie NU in second place.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsEarlier, Ateneo ended its two-game skid with a three-set sweep of University of the East, 25-22, 25-19, 25-11.Antony Koyfman put up 13 points for the Blue Eagles who improved to a 2-2 record tying University of Santo Tomas at the fourth spot of the standings. Pistons punish Kevin Love-less Cavaliers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? MOST READ Ateneo punished UE to the tune of 40 spike points as compared to UE’s 25.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chiefcenter_img Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying LATEST STORIES Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title SEA Games 2019: Charly Suarez stops Burmese foe, advances to boxing semi PLAY LIST 03:22SEA Games 2019: Charly Suarez stops Burmese foe, advances to boxing semi03:30PH’s Rogen Ladon boxing flyweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)03:34PH’s Carlo Paalam boxing light flyweight final (HIGHLIGHTS)02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history View commentslast_img read more

Burbank sinks pool-energy plan

first_imgBURBANK – In 2001, Burbank city officials introduced “Splash into Savings” as a way to cut pool-related energy use, increase conservation awareness and showcase “green” alternatives after the California energy crisis. Pool owners would pledge to set their pumps between 10 p.m. and noon. In return, they’d get a $5 break on their utility bills. But four years later, about one-third of the 784 participating residents had their timers set during the hottest times of the day – thanks to the pool guy – disqualifying them from the program. “Savings” didn’t save a whole lot of energy either. The program represented one-fifth of 1 percent of the city’s peak demand for electricity. Councilman Dave Golonski, who was enrolled in the program, said he hopes the BWP comes up with better alternatives to conserving power. “It was a good idea going in … but apparently it didn’t work out,” he said. “I would have liked it to work. But I’m sure the BWP has a number of other ideas behind it.” Officials found many residents out of compliance after several months of random inspections of pool pumps. After letters were issued to those residents informing them they were being cut from the program, City Hall felt the heat. “Customers were literally incensed that, through no perceived fault of their own, they were being removed,” Davis wrote in his report. City officials refused to provide a list of the participants, citing privacy issues. Jeanette Meyer, the BWP’s marketing manager, said officials had a hard time contacting pool cleaners to coordinate schedules. To make the program more effective, more time and effort would be needed to police it. “We don’t want to do a lot of policing,” she said. Jason Kandel, (818) 546-3306 jason.kandel@dailynews.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals As a result, the City Council sank the program last week, voting unanimously to end it. “It was expected that this program would marginally, yet positively, reduce peak requirements,” Ron Davis, the head of Burbank Water and Power, wrote in his report to the council. “It has failed to do so.” Officials said many pool owners in the program hired cleaners to maintain their pools, and that the settings were frequently changed to coincide with the pool-cleaning schedules but weren’t reset. Bill Thuesen, owner of Burbank Pool Supply, said most cleaners run the pumps during the hottest part of the day because “you want your pump running when all the bad things are happening to your pool.” “Hot sun, a lot of swimmers, airborne bacteria,” he said. “I don’t think that it’s worth the small refund to take a chance on something bad happening to the pool. You have a much better chance of growing algae or having unsanitary water when the pump isn’t running.” last_img read more

Recent Developments Residential school students say theyve been hurt by law firm

first_imgAPTN National NewsOn November 10, British Columbia Supreme Court Justice Brenda Brown ordered an investigation into the allegations made against a Calgary law firm. We do not know how many of the Blott and Company lawyers are facing these allegations.There is a publication ban on material that is before the court.The original air date for the APTN Investigates episode on this matter was to be Jan. 27, 2012. Many of our sources urged us to move the broadcast date up so that their concerns could be made known to the public as soon as possible. So we decided to move the date of our broadcast up to November 28.Our investigation was nearing completion in late October. That’s when the people responsible for overseeing the Indian residential school students’ compensation process suddenly took action. We say “suddenly” because a handful of reliable sources have told us they’d had been reporting concerns for three years or longer and seeing no action. That lack of visible action is what prompted some of those sources to approach APTN Investigates.But after we began asking questions, things definitely started to happen.A meeting attended by a number of senior officials was held in Stand Off, AB. on Oct. 22.More than a dozen people attended that meeting in the Chief Shot Both Sides Building on the Blood Reserve. Included in that number was court monitor Randy Bennett, Michael Mooney of Crawford Class Action Services, National Administrative Committee member Kathleen Mahoney and her spouse Phil Fontaine, former national chief and representative plaintiff for the residential schools settlement agreement, Treaty 7 Grand Chief Charles Weasel Head, who is also chief of the Blood Tribe, Charlene Belleau, head of the AFN residential schools unit, and others.The allegations former students were making against Blott and Company were put before the court monitor at that Saturday meeting in Southern Alberta. We are told the court monitor made the decision then and there to ask the court to order an investigation.We expect the matter was discussed when the Oversight Committee met in Toronto on Oct. 25, but the minutes of that meeting have not yet been posted online.Shortly after that meeting in Stand Off, Mooney applied to British Columbia Supreme Court Justice Brenda Brown for an ex parte order suspending the law firm from contact with its clients. That order was issued in Vancouver on October 31.An ex parte application is one where the other side is not present to argue against the action requested of the court. Ex parte processes are very rare. After the suspension order was issued, the parties were summoned to appear before Justice Brown in Vancouver on November 10.At the end of that day-long hearing, Justice Brown lifted the suspension so that Blott and Company clients could resume receiving legal representation. But the judge ordered the court monitor to commence an investigation into the allegations.As we said earlier, the judge placed a publication ban on materials before the court. APTN Investigates does not know what is before the court. We have not obtained any materials or information from what has been filed in court. We are reporting only on information we gathered independently. Most of that information was gathered well before the court became involved in this matter. Many current or former Blott clients allowed us to look through their files and see the paperwork associated with their claims last August.During the last weekend in November, the court monitor began seizing files. One of our sources voluntarily surrendered the material she had placed in the possession of Russell D. Taylor, a private investigator in Alberta.last_img read more