Cricket Australia admits T20 World Cup plans ‘unrealistic’

first_imgSTAGING the Twenty20 World Cup in Australia this year is “unrealistic” in the midst of a global coronavirus pandemic, Cricket Australia (CA) chairman Earl Eddings admitted yesterday.The tournament is scheduled to take place from October 18 to November 15, and officials have previously said they are planning for it to proceed on those dates.But with many global borders still shut due to virus-related travel restrictions, Eddings conceded that was looking increasingly unlikely.“While it hasn’t been formally called off this year, or postponed, trying to get 16 countries into Australia in the current world, where most countries are still going through COVID spiking, I think it’s unrealistic, or it’s going to be very, very difficult,” he told reporters.Eddings said CA had put forward a number of options to the International Cricket Council (ICC).“The ICC (members) are having meetings as we speak, it’s a bit of a movable feast at the moment,” he said.T20 World Cup chief executive Nick Hockley, who yesterday took over as interim CA chief, said he expected the ICC to make a decision about the tournament’s future next month.“We’ve got a fantastic local organising committee who are busy preparing for every eventuality and the decision that will come,” he said.Australia has so far enjoyed success containing the virus, allowing it to ease restrictions, including letting crowds of up to 10 000 into sports stadiums from next month.But strict international border restrictions remain in place and there are also limits on domestic movement between states, creating an added headache for an event where forty-five matches are split between seven cities.Eddings said India’s Test tour in December-January appeared set to go ahead, with the tourists willing to undergo quarantine to enter Australia.“We’ve had a lot of very positive chats with India, they’re very keen to tour,” he said.“Now it’s a matter of how we get over the hurdles with COVID-19 for them to come into the country.”However, the T20 World Cup, involving 15 visiting teams and support staff, presents a far greater logistical challenge.The most likely scenario appears to be rescheduling the tournament until next year, but it will depend on the status of the pandemic and finding a spot in cricket’s crowded calendar.Postponing the World Cup could have a knock-on effect for the Indian Premier League (IPL), which was supposed to begin in March but has been repeatedly pushed back.The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is desperate to salvage the world’s richest T20 tournament, even if that means taking it overseas or playing in empty stands.While the BCCI has earmarked a September-October window for the event, delaying the T20 World Cup would open up an attractive slot.The ICC last week said the situation regarding the T20 World Cup and coronavirus was rapidly evolving but insisted “planning for delivery of the events in the scheduled window is ongoing”.“The health and well-being of everyone involved is our priority and other considerations fall out from that,” ICC chief executive Manu Sawhney said.last_img read more

Sunday feature: From Ferguson to Wellington, police worry about their safety

first_img Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments (5) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +14 Vote up Vote down Local · 211 weeks ago I am so grateful for all our law enforcement officers. Thank you! Report Reply 0 replies · active 211 weeks ago +8 Vote up Vote down Supporter · 211 weeks ago I’m putting a blue paint strip across the back window of the car to show support for police departments all over the USA. Join me. Report Reply 1 reply · active 211 weeks ago +2 Vote up Vote down Phil · 211 weeks ago Both of our vehicles have the blue line on the rear window. Report Reply +7 Vote up Vote down Thirsty · 211 weeks ago I really don’t see the type of actions coming out of Wellington like they do where I live in Wichita. Wellington is a community where Wichita is a large city. I live close to Hillside and Grove and there are thousands of African Americans many of whom never received the type of education that students get in a community like Wellington. If peace can be achieved up here I would say Wellington has absolutely nothing to worry about. Not that the police shouldn’t always prepare for the unexpected but the probability of something like that happening down there is exponentially lower than up here. Report Reply 0 replies · active 211 weeks ago +7 Vote up Vote down CJO · 211 weeks ago Thank you to the Police Officers here in Wellington. Report Reply 0 replies · active 211 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments by James Jordan, Sumner Newscow — Mass shootings across the nation, and accusations of police shooting innocent people, makes police officers nervous even in Wellington. There are advantages to small town living, and perhaps the lack of major violence is one of those advantages as shootings and mass demonstrations have not made their way to the city.Tracy HeathPolice Chief Tracy Heath said he believes the police in Wellington have a good relationship with the community, but they are still keeping their eyes open.“You never know,” Heath said. “I hope we never experience anything like that, but it does cause me to evaluate our training, review our equipment, and to remind our officers to always be alert and pay attention to their surroundings.”He believes a lot of misinformation is spread by social media, and feels that is the driving force behind a lot of violence across the nation.He said people are relying on unsubstantiated information that is spread on social media, and they are spreading it themselves, adding to the confusion and misinformation that is out there.Heath said he feels for the people in Minnesota, relatives of the people who were shot, as well as other places. He wishes people would let the justice system work.“People should let these things run through the courts and believe that the right thing will be done. I feel confident in that,” he added.But people are quick to rush to judgment, and if what they see on social media agrees with their ideas, it will encourage them and they will pass that along whether it is true or  not.Heath said Wellington is fortunate. There have been very few protests and certainly no major ones. Heath also said he does not believe there has been an officer shot, or a case where a policeman shot a citizen, in Wellington over his 28 year career with the police department.Anything can happen though, and Heath is quick to say there are no guarantees.“But I love the Wellington community. We have great citizens, and I think we have a good police department. We get along great with the community,” he said.There have been shootings in Wellington’s history. It was once part of the wild west, but it has been a long time.“I hope we never have to deal with that in Wellington,” Heath said. “But society has changed and I think technology has a lot to do with that.”With social media things can spread quickly across the world, and that has had a great influence.He believes people are more willing to challenge police officers than they were several years ago. He added though that in his experience there has not been a lot of problems with that in the city. There are people who don’t agree with what police officers are doing, and they may let that be known, but he said there are few cases of it getting out of hand.“You do occasionally have a citizen who is not respectful, or does not agree with our side in a situation, but that is understandable. There may be some folks who are not pro law enforcement, but I still think we have a good relationship,” he said.Heath said he also believes relations are good with minorities. A small town helps there because there are not as many people to start with. That makes it easier for police to be part of the community and to know more of the community. More people also know police officers individually in a small town, and that helps with relations too.Heath said he wants to have an open door to the community. He welcomes anyone with concerns, or thoughts, about the police to visit him and talk about the issues they have.Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more

GOLDEN BOY JASON QUIGLEY IS ON A DIFFERENT GALAXY

first_imgJason Quigley took some timeout from preparing for his second professional bout next week, by being a guest of honour at a recent LA Galaxy match.Quigley fights next Saturday night at the StubHub Center, Carson, California, although his opponent has not yet been announced.Quigley said it was an absolute pleasure to be a special guest at the match, and said it was great to meet the fans and the young kids who were there prior to the fixture against San Jose Earthquakes. Irish soccer fans will be familiar with LA Galaxy as Irish soccer legend Robbie Keane currently leads the attack for the MLS side.While David Beckham also spent five seasons there after leaving Real Madrid in 2007.Quigley posted on his Facebook timeline, “Great night at the LA Galaxy Game at the stub hub center here in LA.“Really enjoyed meeting the fans and young kids, was a pleasure to be a special guest, this day week I’ll be ready do my business in this amazing venue in my 2nd Pro Fight , ‪#‎Ready‬ ‪#‎Aug16‬ ‪#‎TeamQuigley‬ ‪#‎GoldenBoy‬ ‪#‎SheerSportsMGMT‬ #% GOLDEN BOY JASON QUIGLEY IS ON A DIFFERENT GALAXY was last modified: August 9th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Jason QuigleyLA GalaxynewspictureSpecial GuestSportlast_img read more