Ex-Macphie boss appointed UK managing director of La Compagnie des Desserts

first_imgAndy Underwood has been appointed UK managing director of desserts and manufacturer La Compagnie des Desserts (CDD)He is replacing Richard Watts, who founded Destiny Foods 29 years ago and has continued to lead the business since Destiny was acquired by La Compagnie des Desserts in December 2019.Underwood (pictured above) was managing director of Macphie for more than four years, and had been the first person outside the Macphie family to hold the role. He left at the end of last year and was replaced by Andy Stapley, who joined the company as chief executive officer.Before joining Macphie, Underwood held board and senior commercial roles with The Authentic Food Company, Brakes, Schwan’s and Coca-Cola Schweppes.“We’re delighted to welcome Andy to the business and we’re sure his considerable experience and success in the industry to date will help the UK business continue to develop positively,” said CDD group president Philippe Bonny, who also thanked Watts for his support during the two-year transition.CDD brings together ice cream, patisserie and bakery manufacturers, including Pole Sud, Le Gourmet Parisien, La Croquanterie Gourmande, Mon Petit Patissier, Mont Blanc, Philippe Urraca, Pain-Petifour and Destiny Foods.“I’m delighted to be joining the Destiny/CDD UK business and having the opportunity to build on what has been achieved to date,” said Underwood. “We offer a high-quality product and service solution to support our customers in providing appropriate desserts to their consumers.”last_img read more

South Asia Institute hosts exhibit for Nepal

first_img Many of the city’s buildings and places of worship were destroyed or seriously damaged. Harvard’s South Asia Institute (SAI) is hosting an exhibit and fundraiser to help the country of Nepal and its people rebuild after the devastating earthquake of April 25. Thousands of Nepalese citizens were killed; tens of thousands more were injured and made homeless, while many of the city’s magnificent buildings and places of worship were destroyed or seriously damaged.Featuring photography by Grzegorz Ekiert, professor of government, and director of the Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, “Nepal — In Memoriam” will run until Oct. 29 and will also feature a closing reception and fundraiser that night.  The photographs are on exhibit at the CGIS Knafel Concourse, 1737 Cambridge St.The exhibit is designed to raise funds for SAI’s Nepal Research and Reconstruction Fund, which provides support for projects in Nepal developed in partnership with local organizations, with a focus on Nepal’s long-term reconstruction. The exhibition is sponsored by the Harvard University Asia Center, South Asia Institute, Minda de Gunzburg Center for European Studies, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies, Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies, Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies, and Korea Institute.For more information. The recent devastating earthquake killed thousands of Nepalese. Photographs from the exhibit will be for sale with money raised going to SAI’s Nepal Research and Reconstruction Fund.center_img Palaces and temples, built by many generations of Newari craftsmen, are unique treasures of world architecture and art. Remembering Nepal Photographs by Harvard Professor Grzegorz Ekiert will be on exhibit at the CGIS Knafel Concourse. Photos by Grzegorz Ekiert ©last_img read more

Salah inspires Liverpool, Chelsea crush Stoke

first_imgAt Stamford Bridge, Chelsea climbed into second place above Manchester United, who host Southampton later.Antonio Conte’s side made the perfect start when German defender Antonio Rudiger headed home from Willian’s free-kick in the third minute.Eden Hazard was rested, but his replacement Danny Drinkwater did a passable impression of the brilliant Belgian, the midfielder bagging his first goal for the Blues with a blistering strike in the ninth minute. Stoke boss Mark Hughes’s decision to field a severely weakened team in the midst of the hectic festive fixture list was backfiring badly.The visitors were three down by the 23rd minute when Pedro finished off Willian’s pass to put Chelsea on course for a fourth win in their last five league games.Willian got on the scoresheet himself in the 73rd minute, stroking home a penalty, before wing-back Davide Zappacosta grabbed his first Premier League goal with two minutes remaining.“Every win is important for us, today it was important to get three points to continue our positive run,” Conte said.“The title doesn’t depend on us, because let’s be honest, Man City are on a fantastic run.”– Carvalhal makes his mark –Carlos Carvalhal made an immediate impact at Swansea City as his new club climbed off the bottom of the table with a dramatic 2-1 win at Watford.Carvalhal was the surprise choice to replaced the sacked Paul Clement just days after he’d been dismissed by second-tier Sheffield Wednesday.The Portuguese coach’s first game got off to a bad start when Andre Carrillo nodded home in the 11th minute.But Carvalhal was heard lambasting his players at half-time and they responded to his words with four minutes when left Ghana striker Jordan Ayew equalised. Luciano Narsingh then won it for Swansea in the 90th minute.Swansea are two points from safety after their first win in five games.“We deserved the win. I must say to my players I’m very happy with what they did in a difficult situation,” Carvalhal said.Ryan Fraser’s last-gasp goal clinched Bournemouth’s first win in nine matches as they beat Everton 2-1 at Dean Court to move out of the relegation zone.Fraser side-footed Bournemouth ahead in the 33rd minute, only for Idrissa Gueye to equalise for Everton in the 57th minute.Everton boss Sam Allardyce was unbeaten in seven games in all competitions since replacing Ronald Koeman, but Fraser ended that run with his 89th-minute strike.Newcastle drew 0-0 with Brighton and Huddersfield Town shared a goalless draw with Burnley.Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Liverpool celebrated Virgil van Dijk’s arrival at Anfield by coming from behind to beat Leicester City 2-1 thanks to Mohamed Salah’s brace as Chelsea crushed Stoke City 5-0 in the Premier League on Saturday.Van Dijk, signed from Southampton for a world record fee for a defender of £75 million ($100 million), isn’t able to play for Liverpool until January, but the flaws the Dutch centre-back will be asked to fix were on display as Leicester took a third minute lead at Anfield.With Van Dijk watching on, Joel Matip carelessly conceded possession and Riyad Mahrez set up Jamie Vardy to slot past goalkeeper Loris Karius, selected in place of the dropped Simon Mignolet, for his 10th of the season.Liverpool levelled seven minutes after the interval. Egypt winger Salah took Sadio Mane’s brilliant pass and showed good footwork before drilling past Kasper Schmeichel for his 22nd club goal of an incredible debut season following his move from Roma.Salah then won it for Liverpool in the 76th minute, turning away from Leicester defender Harry Maguire and firing in at the Kop end.Liverpool, unbeaten in 12 league games, remain fourth and now hold a four-point advantage over fifth-placed Tottenham Hotspur in the race to qualify for the Champions League.“It is a maximum satisfaction to win like this. Today was pretty much perfect,” Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said.“When we were one goal down our reaction was the best I’ve ever seen in this situation.“Mo was fantastic with his dribbling and his vision. I couldn’t ask more from him.”last_img read more

Young guns shine as Arsenal move into 5th round of FA Cup

first_imgAs a 22-pass Arsenal move approached an eye-catching crescendo, Willock’s surge opened up the Bournemouth defence.Willock picked out Martinelli, who deftly moved the ball onto Saka when a more selfish player would have shot and he smashed a thunderous drive into the roof of the net from an acute angle.– Bournemouth outgunned –Arteta had made five changes from the Chelsea match, with Nketiah making his first Arsenal start since January last year against Blackpool in the FA Cup.Nketiah was recently recalled from a loan spell at second-tier Leeds over concerns he wasn’t playing enough, but the 20-year-old showed his potential in the 26th minute as he doubled Arsenal’s lead.Unable to contain Willock and Saka, Bournemouth were carved open as the midfielder’s pass found the defender in acres of space on the left.Saka’s cross into the six-yard box was perfect for Nketiah and he slotted in his first Arsenal goal since May.Bournemouth are mired in the Premier League relegation zone and Eddie Howe made six changes as he prioritised top-flight survival.Completely outclassed for the first 30 minutes, Bournemouth finally had a sight of goal when Harry Wilson’s volley was saved by Emiliano Martinez.Arteta’s men didn’t have it all their own way in the second half and Martinez took out his own player when he clattered into Shkodran Mustafi in a bid to catch a cross.Mustafi had to be stretchered off as a result of the clash.The hapless Martinez nearly gifted Bournemouth a goal moments later when he missed with his attempt to punch clear, but Jack Simpson headed just wide of the empty net.Share on: WhatsApp Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka and Eddie Nketiah celebrate.Bournemouth, United Kingdom | AFP |  Arsenal’s Bukayo Saka and Eddie Nketiah gave a glimpse of their potential as the youngsters fired their side into the FA Cup fifth round with a 2-1 win against Bournemouth on Monday.Mikel Arteta turned to youth at Dean Court and Saka, Nketiah and Joe Willock repaid the Arsenal manager’s faith with influential displays that secured a trip to third-tier Portsmouth.Saka gave Arsenal an early lead as the 18-year-old full-back bagged his third goal of the season with a superb strike.Nketiah got the second before the interval to ensure Arteta took another step towards emulating his FA Cups triumph as an Arsenal player in 2014 and 2015.Sam Surridge got one back for Bournemouth in the closing minutes, but it was too late to salvage a replay.Languishing in 10th place in the Premier League after failing to win any of their last three games, this was a welcome boost for Arteta as Arsenal built on their hard-fought draw at Chelsea last week.It was Arsenal’s third win in eight matches under Arteta in all competitions, with just one defeat in that run.Arteta’s first match in charge of Arsenal was a 1-1 Premier League draw at Bournemouth in December, but his team looked far more accomplished this time, even without several key players.With Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang still suspended, 18-year-old striker Gabriel Martinelli started for Arsenal.Martinelli had scored in Arsenal’s past two Premier League games to reach 10 goals for the season.But the Brazilian isn’t just a poacher and he showed his creative vision as Arsenal made a perfect start in the fifth minute.last_img read more

Lucky Pets For St. Patrick’s Day – Pet Adoption In Olympia

first_imgSubmitted by Joint Animal ServicesYou can make one pet feel very lucky this St. Patrick’s Day by adopting from Animal Services. Adopted pets know they have struck gold when they find a forever home. They make loyal companions, and help their owner lead a happier, healthier life as well. Come down and meet all the animals that would love to become your life-long good luck charm! Facebook0Tweet0Pin0last_img

Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju breaks his silence about bad blood between Mary Kom and…

first_imgImage Courtesy: Twitter(@KirenRijiju)/SportstarAdvertisement 8qv4NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs428Wingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E5us90n( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 64rwWould you ever consider trying this?😱m3wxCan your students do this? 🌚33bd9eRoller skating! Powered by Firework In the circle of boxing in the country, there has been an ongoing feud off the ring, between the legendary MC Mary Kom, and the rising star Nikhat Zareen. In the past few months, the two boxers have been on a cold war against each other. Now Kiren Rijiju, the Minister of Sports has finally opened up on the ongoing tussle between two pugilists.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Twitter(@KirenRijiju)/SportstarZareen, the flyweight boxer from Nizamabad had earlier made a request to the sports minister through a formal tweet and an official letter for her trial against Mary for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics.“Too much of issues are created on this! Mary Kom is a legend who has achieved what no other boxer has ever achieved in the World Amateur Boxing.” Rijiju posted on his official Twitter handle.Advertisement Although at first the Boxing Federation of India (BFI) did not organise the match, Zareen finally had her go against the Six times AIBA World Boxing Champion last saturday.“Nikhat Zareen is an amazing boxer who has the potential to follow the footsteps of Mary Kom. India is proud of both of them. Period,” Rijiju added.Advertisement Mary won the bout 9-1, but the match ended in a dismay, as Mary rejected Zareen as she tried to hug her. Even after that, they did not shake hands either.Mary’s gesture made a dent on Zareen’s spirit. “It was very new for me. I never expected that she will get so angry at me for going on Twitter and writing a letter to the sports minister. If she is taking all that personally that’s her choice, I can’t comment on that.” the 23 year old told IANS.“I was fighting for a fair trial. I was fighting against the system, not Mary Kom or the federation. I was saying that there should be a proper trial before every competition. That’s it.” Zareen added.However, Mary had spoken about her reasons for her behaviour towards Zareen. In the post match interview, she told PTI: “I am also a human being, I can also get irritated. Can’t I get angry when my credentials are questioned?”“If she wants others to respect her then she should first respect others. I don’t like people with such nature. Just prove your point inside the ring, not outside.” Mary added.Also read-Nikhat Zareen demands trial against Mary Kom to be televised in interest of fairnessSports Minister Kiren Rijiju responds to Nikhat Zareen’s plea to have a trial bout against Mary Kom for Tokyo 2020 selection Advertisementlast_img read more

Wildcats score 15th place finish at 40-team UBC-O High School Volleyball Tournament

first_imgIt was a two steps forward, one step back weekend at the UBC-O High School Girl’s Ogopogo Volleyball Tournament for the Mount Sentinel Wildcats of South Slocan.The Cats looked like world-beaters during the preliminary round but then were rocked during the playoffs to finish 15th overall in the 40-team tourney held during the weekend in Kelowna at the UBC-O gymnasium.“On a very positive note, and important at that, we didn’t quit mentally or physically (which is) something to build on for this coming weekend,” said Sentinel head coach Joe Moreira.Mount Sentinel opened the tourney with three wins during pool play Friday.The result advanced the Cats into the round of 16.However, facing some of the best teams in the province — Kelowna Christian, Penticton and France Xavier  of Edmonton,   Mount Sentinel struggled going winless.“We had hoped to improve on Friday’s performance on Saturday, but it was more of the same and unlike Friday the competition was not as forgiving,” Moreira explained.The Cats head right back onto the court Friday when the club one again travels to Kelowna, this time to compete in the Best of the West Volleyball Tournament.“Like the UBC-O tournament we have an opportunity to compete against very good teams,” said Moreira.“Our first test is against No. 6 ranked Single-A, White Rock Christian.”Mount Sentinel Boys return to courtIt has been a rather lengthy hiatus for the Mount Sentinel Wildcats Boys.The Cats have been idle since the opening week of the high school season, a third-place showing in Creston at the Prince Charles Comets Tournament.However, Mount Sentinel returns to the net Friday as the team enters play at the UBC-O High School Boy’s Ogopogo Volleyball Tournament in Kelowna.Mount Sentinel is an honourable mention in the most recent B.C. High School Boy’s AA [email protected]last_img read more