Rooney ruled out of Sweden trip

first_img This is the second injury to have affected Rooney this pre-season. The player flew home from Thailand earlier in July with a hamstring injury. Nemanja Vidic will skipper the United side in Sweden after missing the first leg of the tour due to a sciatica problem, while Portuguese winger Bebe, signed for £7.4million in 2010 but who has yet to start a game in the Barclays Premier League, is also in the squad. Squad: Lindegaard, Amos; Rafael, Evans, Evra, Jones, Smalling, Vidic; Anderson, Bebe, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Zaha; Henriquez, Kagawa, Van Persie, Welbeck. Wayne Rooney will not travel with Manchester United to Sweden for a pre-season friendly after injuring his shoulder. Press Association United have confirmed they have rejected a second bid for the striker from Chelsea and now say the 27-year-old is out of Tuesday’s match against AIK in Stockholm. A United spokesman told Press Association Sport: “He injured his shoulder in the behind-closed-doors game against Real Betis in Saturday and will not be travelling to Sweden.” United manager David Moyes said the injury was not serious and expects Rooney to return quickly. United have other matches coming up including Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial against Seville on Friday and the Community Shield against Wigan at Wembley on Sunday. “Wayne hurt his shoulder in a fall during a match on Saturday,” Moyes told the club’s website. “It’s not too serious and I don’t expect it to keep him out for too long. “I’m disappointed he’s missing the game because we were keen to get him back involved and ready to play.” Earlier on Monday, United confirmed they had rejected a second bid from Chelsea for Rooney, thought to be for around £25million. A United spokesman told Press Association Sport: “A bid was received yesterday and immediately rejected. Our position remains that he is not for sale.” The second bid and United’s swift response will now focus Rooney’s mind on his future at Old Trafford – there have been reports that he will consider handing in an official transfer request. Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has made the 27-year-old his top transfer target and Rooney told former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson last season that he wanted a move. Moyes has repeatedly stressed that Rooney is not for sale. Rooney himself, however, was unimpressed by the manager’s remarks that he would effectively have to be an understudy to main striker Robin van Persie. last_img read more

Malibu truck crash kills 2, injures firefighter

first_img160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MALIBU – A gravel truck plowed through a red light Wednesday and struck two cars, killing two people and injuring an off-duty Los Angeles County firefighter, authorities said. The big-rig was traveling on Kanan Dume Road, which is normally off-limits to trucks, when the driver apparently lost control on a downhill grade and tore through the red light at Pacific Coast Highway at about 70 mph, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Philip Brooks said. The truck hit a Mercedes and instantly killed its driver, then struck a sport utility vehicle driven by the firefighter. The truck then slammed into a hillside, killing the driver. The identities of the victims were not immediately released. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. However, the firefighter was from a station in Calabasas and was off-duty at the time, fire Capt. Gregory Hill said. The firefighter’s ankle was broken and he was trapped in his car until he was pulled free, Brooks said. He was taken to a hospital. Brooks said many truck drivers have been using Kanan Dume in the past several days because their normal route was closed due to fire. The Canyon Fire destroyed six homes, two businesses and a church, blackened 4,500 acres and injured four people. At the time of the crash, around 10 a.m., the fire was 85 percent contained and Pacific Coast Highway had been reopened for only a short time. Authorities opened the route at about 7 p.m. Wednesday, just after Los Angeles County Fire officials said the Canyon Fire was fully contained.last_img read more

Ulster Schools GAA allow extra week for competitions due to ASTI strike

first_imgDue to Union Action in the South, Ulster Schools GAA has decided to allow 1 week extra for completion of these competitions. Please see the dates below:McDevitt CupPlay-offs for Quarter Finals – Week beginning 14th NovemberQuarter Finals – Week beginning 21st NovemberSemi-Finals – Week beginning 28th NovemberFinal – Week beginning 5th December Arthurs CupQuarter Finals – Week beginning 14th NovemberSemi-Finals – Week beginning 21st NovemberFinal – Week beginning 28th NovemberMarkey CupDeadline for completion of league sections: Friday 9th DecemberUlster Schools GAA allow extra week for competitions due to ASTI strike was last modified: November 12th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ASTIFootballstrikeulster schools gaalast_img read more