Swiss report first coronavirus death

first_imgSwiss health authorities said on Wednesday that so far mostly young people had contracted the disease in Switzerland, but were likely to pass it on to older people who are more at risk.The Swiss government has banned events and gatherings of more than 1,000 people and advised people to keep their distance, avoid shaking hands and refrain from the traditional Swiss triple-kiss greeting.Companies like UBS and Nestle have imposed travel bans, while fragrance maker Givaudan on Wednesday opted to shutter a site near Zurich because an employee contracted the disease.Topics : A 74-year-old woman in western Switzerland has died after contracting the new coronavirus, the country’s first death from the rapidly spreading disease outbreak, regional police said on Thursday.The woman had been hospitalized at Lausanne’s University Hospital in the canton of Vaud since Tuesday, police said. She was a high-risk patient suffering from chronic disease, authorities added.In Switzerland, 58 infections have been confirmed so far. The country has frequent exchanges with neighbor Italy, where around 3,100 people have been diagnosed with the disease and 107 died, as well as France and Germany, where coronavirus cases have also been reported.last_img read more

Lamar Jackson leads Pro Bowl voting by HUGE margin; Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes follow

first_imgLast Updated: 17th December, 2019 11:59 IST Lamar Jackson Leads Pro Bowl Voting By HUGE Margin; Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes Follow Baltimore Ravens’ star quarterback Lamar Jackson has been grabbing the headlines in recent weeks. He now leads the Pro Bowl voting with 704,699 votes. Written By Lamar Jackson leads Pro Bowl voting; Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes followTo be fair, Lamar Jackson led the Pro Bowl votes by a mile and a half. The Baltimore Ravens quarterback received a total of 704,699 votes in polling. Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, who was second in the voting, received 539,768 votes, over 164,000 votes behind Lamar Jackson. Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes came in third with 468,838 votes.Also Read | Lamar Jackson Pulls Off A Dwyane Wade As Jets Players Line Up For QB’s Jersey LIVE TV COMMENT FOLLOW US Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is in his first full season in the NFL. Based on his performances this season, NFL fans would be forgiven to think that he’s been in the league for years together. It is, therefore, fitting that Lamar Jackson received the maximum number of votes in balloting for the 2020 Pro Bowl.  With over 700,000 votes, Lamar Jackson is now officially the people’s choice for Pro Bowl 2020, and with good reason. When Lamar Jackson won the Heisman Trophy in 2016 he still didn’t have the NFL’s vote of confidence as a quarterback prospect. In fact, he was the Ravens’ 32nd pick in the 2018 draft. It’s safe to say that the 2018 ACC Athlete of the Year has come a long way since then. Earlier last week, Lamar Jackson broke his mentor Michael Vick’s record for most rushing yards in a single NFL season in only his second season in the NFL. His 159 rushing attempts this season are also the most by a quarterback in the history of the NFL. Couple these numbers with the fact that he now has a 112.8 passer rating, 66.2 completion percentage, and the Ravens are on a 10-game winning streak, and it is apparent that Lamar Jackson is, essentially, changing the game.But enough waxing lyrical about Lamar Jackson. O.J. Simpson did enough of that last week after the Baltimore Ravens’ 42-21 win over the New York Jets at the M&T Bank Stadium last Thursday. Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, Dalvin Cook and Christian McCaffrey round up the top five from Pro Bowl 2020 balloting. Four of these are currently under the age of 25, which begs the question, is the new generation coming of age in the NFL this season? Also Read | Watch Lamar Jackson’s STUNNING Interview With Ravens Teammate Mark Ingram, MVP Calls Roar WATCH US LIVE SUBSCRIBE TO US First Published: 17th December, 2019 11:59 IST Colin DCunha [email protected]_era8 was the leading vote getter in ALL fan votes for the #ProBowl❗️The rosters will be announced Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET on @nflnetwork❗️ pic.twitter.com/71dtLGuj5b— Baltimore Ravens (@Ravens) December 16, 2019last_img read more

English football great Terry Butcher quits as Azkals coach before first game

first_imgNadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil View comments Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Peza offers relief to ecozone firms After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Texas gymnastics coach arrested, accused of child sex abuse Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ Gov’t in no rush to rescue animals in Taal In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ The shock decision by the 59-year-old — who had spoken ambitiously about taking the Philippines to the World Cup — comes as the Azkals head towards their first Asian Cup in January.Team manager Dan Palami said it was “unfortunate” that the former England manager had cited difficulty in carrying out his plans for the national team.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’“We understand and respect Mr. Terry Butcher’s decision not to continue with his role as national team coach of the Philippines,” Palami said in a statement.“It is unfortunate, however, that Mr. Butcher had expressed difficulty in executing his plans for the national team program,” he added. MOST READ ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Butcher said he had come to the conclusion that he was unable to build a “robust” programme for the Philippines team.“The vital issue for myself was to carefully build a robust plan to meet the football ambitions of the national team,” he said in a statement to Britain’s Press Association.“Regretfully, I’ve not been able to make this work in the way that I intended and I’ve decided not to continue in this role,” he added.Butcher was named in a shake-up to replace Thomas Dooley, who qualified the team for next year’s Asian Cup and guided them to an all-time high of 111th in the FIFA rankings in May.Ireland’s Scott Cooper, who had been appointed as Butcher’s assistant, will be handling the team as it prepares for its upcoming competitions.ADVERTISEMENT Their next major test will be November’s AFF Suzuki Cup, the Southeast Asian championship, before January’s Asian Cup, where the Philippines are grouped with China, South Korea, and Kyrgyzstan.   /vvpSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. England football great Terry Butcher has stepped down as the Philippines’ head coach without taking charge of a single game, saying he was not “able to make this work”.Butcher, a veteran of three World Cups who has managed in England, Scotland, Wales and Australia, lasted less than 50 days in the job after he was appointed on June 14.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more