History on Johnson’s side

first_imgDustin Johnson has recent history on his side as he looks to end his run of major misery with victory in the Open Championship, which will finish on a Monday for just the second time ever. Press Association But when play eventually resumed at 6pm, the 31-year-old American completed a second round of 69 by driving the 18th green and two-putting for birdie to finish 10 under par, one ahead of England’s Danny Willett – who finished his 69 on Friday – and two clear of 1999 champion Paul Lawrie. Australia’s Jason Day and 2010 champion Louis Oosthuizen finished seven under par to join Friday finishers Marc Warren, Zach Johnson, Adam Scott and Robert Streb in joint fourth, with world number two Jordan Spieth two shots further back after a second-round 72. ” This morning when we started it was almost impossible, but I managed to hang in there and then when we just went out and restarted it was very tough, but managed to make some good pars and then birdie the last hole,” Johnson said. “So it was a good way to finish the day.” Asked about the incident on the 14th, where his ball was blown down a slope towards that of playing partner Spieth, Johnson added: ” Fortunately it happened in kind of the end part of the second round, so we’ve still got a lot of golf to play, so it is what it is. Can’t do anything to change it. “W hen I went up to mark it I got probably an inch from the ground. My coin was about to hit the ground when it took off. Then I went to mark it again and I think it took off again. And then Jordan was running to his ball. It was pretty funny.” The last seven major winners have led or shared the lead after 36 holes, but Johnson has already let several chances slip through his fingers. He held a two-shot lead early in the final round of the US Open last month but failed to convert an eagle attempt from 12 feet on the 72nd hole to claim the title and missed the return from four feet to miss out on a play-off with Spieth. The world number four also took a three-shot lead into the final round at Pebble Beach in 2010 but collapsed to a closing 82, while a two-shot penalty for grounding his club in a bunker on the 72nd hole of the US PGA two months later cost him a place in the play-off. Masters and US Open champion Spieth, who is chasing the third leg of an unprecedented calendar grand slam, did not think play should have started at 7am, but was also furious with himself for five three-putts in his round. “I t was an interesting round that took a lot of time, but it’s nice to look back on Saturday evening and instead of being five shots back with one to go, I’ve still got two full rounds, so anything can happen here,” the 21-year-old said. “I believe I’m still in contention. I still believe I can win this tournament. I need a really solid round tomorrow, though, because Dustin is not letting up. “Dustin is going to shoot a good round tomorrow with less wind and I’m going to need to shoot a great round to really give myself a chance. “To fall from two back to five back isn’t exactly what I wanted, but it could have been worse, could have been better. If I can shoot something like 10 under in the last two rounds, I think I’ll have a chance to win.” Asked about the pressure of trying to win a third straight major title, Spieth added: “W hen we’re out on the course inside the ropes, it’s just another event, and I’m working as hard as I can to get into contention and beat the best players in the world. “I understand where we’re at off the course, but it doesn’t do any good thinking about that. It does better for me focusing on the task at hand. That’s what we did in the first two majors.” A delay of 10 and a half hours forced the R&A to extend proceedings into a fifth day for the first time since Royal Lytham in 1988, with the third round scheduled for Sunday at St Andrews. After a 7am restart on the Old Course, Johnson had seen his ball roll off the 14th green in winds gusting up to 45mph during the 32 minutes of action possible before play was suspended. last_img read more

Rohr’s Plaudits for Eagles

first_img“In the second half Zambia was the better team. They pushed and pushed and they almost made it 2-2, but the spirit of our team was very good, so we managed to defend until the end,” Rohr said at the joint post-match conference, which was also attended by Zambia coach Wedson Nyindera.Nyindera praised the fans for their support while also stressing that he is still trying to build a team.“We are rebuilding the team and at the same time expecting to qualify for the FIFA World Cup.“We have brought new players to the team and I think they blended well with the old players.“But most of all I am happy with the response we got from our fans.“After conceding those two goals they continued to support us.“That means that we have real Chipolopolo supporters. They went on until the last minute.“Even when we missed those chances they kept on chanting for us.“But football being what it is, the result today went the other way.“I would like to assure our fans that we will compensate this loss in upcoming matches and give them what they deserve,” he said.Zambia skipper Rainford Kalaba has also admitted some of the players were intimidated by the several Nigeria stars who play in the Premier League in England and this caused their loss Sunday.The other Premier League stars on the squad were Chelsea midfielder John Mikel Obi, Ahmed Musa from Leicester City and Brown Ideye, who has previously featured for West Bromwich Albion.Kalaba revealed these stars scared some of his colleagues.“Playing against experienced players based in Europe, some of the guys were scared of playing against them because they always watch them every weekend in the Premier league and when they see them live, it is often difficult for them to concentrate on the game,” reasoned the TP Mazembe star who posted a short-lived stint in Portugal many years ago.“In the first half some of the guys were a bit scared, but in the second half we all saw how things went and we controlled the game.“There are even more stars in Algeria and Cameroun, so this must be big lesson for us.”Kalaba further said of his impression of Nigeria,” We respect Nigeria because they have some good players.“They have some experienced players in the midfield and they were well organised.”The exciting forward said the pressure will now be on the Chipolopolo to get their qualifying campaign back on track.“Losing our first game has brought more pressure on us, but we hope to improve,” he admitted.“We are all very disappointed we lost at home because it was important to start (this competition) well.“We still have time to work together with the coach so that we that we could rectify the mistake we have made.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Super Eagles Technical Adviser, Gernot Rohr, has said that the “very good spirit” of the Nigeria national team was vital in Sunday’s 2-1 2018 World Cup qualifying win over Zambia in Ndola.Rohr, who praised the battling qualities displayed by his side on Sunday, admitted that the Chipolopolo were the better side in the second half.“The result is a reflection of what happened in the match. What happened in the first half was what we expected. We played well and we scored.last_img read more

GHPL: Berekum Chelsea shock Hearts in Accra

first_imgAccra Hearts of Oak started their 2019/2020 Ghana Premier League campaign on a sour note losing 1-0 to a tough Berekum Chelsea side at the Accra Sports Stadium.The first half had a relatively slow tempo with Hearts going close on a couple of occasions in the opening embers of the game, but good goalkeeping from Chelsea goalkeeper Ibrahim Danlad kept the Phobians at bay.Berekum Chelsea who were proving to be a tough nut to crack shot into the lead after 34 minutes, after Jonah Attuquaye‘s Shot was deflected Hearts goalkeeper Richmond Ayi.The visitors managed to hold on till the break, despite Hearts going close on a couple of occasions.Hearts head coach Kim Grant made a change soon after the restart, with forward Kofi Kordzi coming on for Aminu Alhassan.Kordzi proved to be a handful for the Berekum Chelsea defense and went close on a couple of occasions, most notably on the 80 minute mark, when he struck the woodwork with a shot from distance.The result is certainly not the way the Phobians would have wanted to start the season, and will be seeking to make amends on matchday 2 against Medeama.Photos by Yaw Antwi Owusu | Citi Sportslast_img read more