Letter to National Telecommunication Corporation about YouTube’s inaccessibility

first_img to go further News SudanAfrica YouTube is a website on which information of a visual nature is exchanged. It is censored in countries such as China, Turkey and Pakistan, which try to control sensitive subjects on the Internet. Some of YouTube’s videos may be violent, and it could be necessary to request their withdrawal. But blocking the entire site is a disproportionate measure.We look forward to your reply,Respectfully,Robert MénardAdvice for Sudanese Internet users who want to access YouTube before it is unblocked:- use a proxy such as Megaproxy (https://www.megaproxy.com/freesurf/)- try connecting to the site via au.youtube.com August 7, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Letter to National Telecommunication Corporation about YouTube’s inaccessibility April 10, 2020 Find out more April 6, 2020 Find out more News March 29, 2020 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard has written to the head of the National Telecommunication Corporation voicing concern about online free expression in Sudan and the fact that his clients’ access to the video-sharing website YouTube has been blocked since 22 July.Dear Sir,Unlike the clients of other Sudanese ISPs such as Canar Telecom, your clients have not been able to access the video-sharing website YouTube since 22 July. Reporters Without Borders, an organisation that defends press freedom worldwide, would like draw your attention to this situation, which violates your clients’ freedom of expression.This is the first time that YouTube, one of the country’s most popular websites, has been blocked in Sudan and we find it hard to image that this is just a technical problem. We strongly hope that it is not a deliberate act of censorship that you have carried out on the grounds that certain videos could be regarded as shocking. If this were the case, it would suffice to ask YouTube to withdraw the videos that pose a problem. We call on you to explain why YouTube has been blocked. SudanAfrica center_img News Organisation Follow the news on Sudan Receive email alerts Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent Sudan : Press freedom still in transition a year after Omar al-Bashir’s removal RSF_en Help by sharing this information Coronavirus infects press freedom in Africa Ask the National Telecommunication Corporation to unblock YouTube.last_img read more

New coronavirus outbreak on Navy destroyer in Pacific, 18 sailors positive

first_imgMass Communication Specialist 3rd Class Matthew F. Jackson/U.S. NavyBy LUIS MARTINEZ, ABC News(WASHINGTON) — Eighteen sailors aboard the U.S. Navy destroyer USS Kidd, operating in the Pacific Ocean, have tested positive for the coronavirus, and one of them has been medically evacuated to the United States, according to the Navy.This marks the second outbreak at sea aboard a U.S. Navy vessel; the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt remains in Guam with most of its crew still in quarantine.The Navy said in a statement on Friday that the 18 sailors had tested positive for the coronavirus as the destroyer was operating in the eastern Pacific Ocean as part of a new counternarcotics mission.“A Sailor assigned to USS Kidd (DDG 100) tested positive for COVID-19 after being medically evacuated to the United States from operations at sea, April 23,” according to the Navy statement.Seventeen other sailors tested positive within 24 hours of the first case, and the Navy has deployed a specialized medical team to the ship to conduct contact tracing and additional onsite testing.The Navy said it expected that additional sailors among the ship’s crew of 350 would test positive.The destroyer is now headed toward an American port, where it will be cleaned and disinfected. The Kidd had been operating for the past several weeks in the Eastern Pacific off the coast of Mexico.“The first patient transported is already improving and will self-isolate. We are taking every precaution to ensure we identify, isolate, and prevent any further spread onboard the ship,” said Rear Adm. Don Gabrielson, commander, U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command/U.S. 4th Fleet. “Our medical team continues coordinating with the ship and our focus is the safety and well-being of every sailor.”The outbreak aboard the ship is only the second time that cases of COVID-19 have appeared among the more than 90 U.S. Navy ships currently at sea, though there have been other positive cases among the crews of 26 ships berthed in their homeports.The aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, the only other ship to have cases while underway, remains in port in Guam where more than 85 percent of the almost 5,000 sailors aboard are in quarantine or self-isolation. Seventeen percent of that ship’s crew, or 840 sailors, have tested positive for the virus. Last week, a sailor serving aboard the ship passed away from complications caused by the virus.Capt. Brett Crozier, the ship’s former commanding officer who was fired by the Navy’s top civilian official, was also among the sailors who tested positive.Former acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly had removed Crozier from command following the publication of a letter he had written urging the Navy to do more to help stem the spread of coronavirus among his crew. Modly later resigned following the uproar over his comments to the crew of the Roosevelt in which he belittled their former commander as being “either too naive or too stupid” to not think that his letter would appear in public.On Friday afternoon, top officials of the Navy recommended that the captain be restored to his command. Defense Secretary Mark Esper has asked for time to review the recommendation. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Clippers dominate Wizards, set up Summer League showdown with Lakers

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error LAS VEGAS — Reggie Upshaw had 24 points and nine rebounds and rookie Shai Gilgeous-Alexander added 17 points and six assists as the Clippers defeated the Washington Wizards 89-74 on Wednesday afternoon at Cox Pavilion, becoming the first team to advance in the NBA Summer League tournament.Rookie Jerome Robinson scored 15 points and Angel Delgado added 14 points and 10 rebounds and five steals on 7-for-9 shooting for the Clippers, who will face the top-seeded Lakers (3-0) in a second-round game on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. PT at the Thomas & Mack Center. The Lakers received a first-round bye.The Clippers (2-2) dominated most of the game and never trailed. They led 31-15 at the end of the first quarter and maintained a double-digit lead throughout, extending the margin to 28 points in the third quarter before Washington cut it to 10 during the fourth quarter. The Clippers outrebounded the Wizards 46-32 and held the Wizards to 38-percent shooting from the field, including 21 percent from 3-point range.Devin Robinson had 26 points and 11 rebounds and Aaron Harrison added 12 points for the Wizards (1-3), who will play a consolation game against Chicago or Dallas on Friday afternoon.last_img read more