New York to test for antibodies, governor mandates face covering

first_imgIt isn’t yet clear whether people who were previously infected will be immune and if so for how long, experts say.Cuomo announced that another 752 New Yorkers had died from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours. He failed to give un updated toll but that number would take statewide deaths past 11,000.The illness has claimed more than 27,000 lives across the United States, according to a running tally by Johns Hopkins University.Cuomo said he would sign a decree that would come into effect in three days requiring that everyone in the state cover their mouth and nose when unable to maintain social distancing outside.The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have been recommending that US citizens wear masks since April 3. Topics : New York has developed its own antibody test that could help detect those immune to coronavirus as the state looks to gradually end its shutdown, Governor Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.He made the announcement as he ordered all residents of the state — the epicenter of America’s coronavirus outbreak — to cover their faces when in stores or using public transit.Cuomo said 2,000 people would be tested a day, as he works on a plan for a phased reopening of New York, without speeding up the spread of COVID-19 again, following its weeks-long shutdown.center_img “We’re going to prioritize the antibody testing for first responders and essential workers,” Cuomo told reporters. “It’s a finger prick test so it’s not terribly invasive.”Officials are battling with how to get crippled economies up and running again without increasing the rate of infections as the world awaits a vaccine for the deadly virus.Cuomo said he had a “blueprint” centered on testing residents for the virus, and then tracing and isolating those who have it to control the spread.Health officials believe antibody tests that have just entered the market and look for whether a person has been previously infected are crucial in answering questions about immunity.last_img read more

Arsenal have no option to recall William Saliba in January transfer window

first_imgAdvertisement Saliba is on loan at Saint-Etienne (Picture: Getty)Arsenal will be unable to end William Saliba’s loan spell with Saint Etienne in January.Saliba is a registered Arsenal player, having signed for the London club during the summer but was immediately sent back to France in order to continue his development.Reports this week claimed Arsenal were considering terminating Saliba’s loan spell as a solution to their own defensive issues.Arsenal’s centre-backs, including summer signing David Luiz, have faced stern criticism recently with the likes of Shkodran Mustafi branded ‘uncoachable’ by Gary Neville.ADVERTISEMENT Comment Bournemouth v Arsenal: Mikel Arteta pre-match press conferenceTo view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video Play VideoLoaded: 0%0:00Progress: 0%PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration Time 9:07FullscreenBournemouth v Arsenal: Mikel Arteta pre-match press conferencehttps://metro.co.uk/video/bournemouth-v-arsenal-mikel-arteta-pre-match-press-conference-2075672/This is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. Advertisementcenter_img Saliba is currently injured (Picture: Getty)The Athletic, however, have confirmed that Arsenal do not have the option to draft in Saliba, 18, before the end of the current season.AdvertisementAdvertisementWhile Saliba is considered a future star, he has struggled with injury this season, making just seven appearances.A hamstring problem kept Saliba sidelined at the start of the season and he did not play his first game until September.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CitySaliba reclaimed his spot at the heart of Saint-Etienne’s defence, but injury struck again in November when he broke his foot.The Frenchman is yet to return to action and spent time at Arsenal earlier in the season while recovering from his hamstring injury.Mikel Arteta revealed ahead of his first game in charge that Arsenal were looking to do business in January.‘We had many other conversations,’ confirmed Arteta. ‘We have a meeting soon and some ideas but we have to put them together.’ Coral BarryTuesday 24 Dec 2019 9:26 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link6.8kShares Arsenal have no option to recall William Saliba in January transfer windowlast_img read more

Japan badminton king arrives home after fatal car crash

first_img Earlier in the day, he was discharged from hospital in Malaysia, and boarded a plane wearing a dark cap and face mask. An assistant coach, physiotherapist, and badminton official also suffered minor injuries in the highway crash, seen as a blow to Momota’s preparations for this year’s Tokyo Olympics where he will attempt to win gold on home soil to complete a full set of major titles. The accident occurred just hours after he began his 2020 season in style on Sunday with victory over Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen in Kuala Lumpur. Momota had been in Putrajaya public hospital outside the capital Kuala Lumpur since Monday. Kento Momota was discharged from a Malaysian hospital on WednesdayHe will now aim to return to action at the All England Championships on March 11, the secretary general of Japan’s Badminton Association Kinji Zeniya told AFP on Tuesday.Momota, who won a record 11 titles last year, had “extraordinary enthusiasm towards the Olympics” this year in Tokyo, added Zeniya, but urged the gold medal favourite to take time to recuperate fully.“I hope he will do his best without pushing and rushing himself too hard and without being impatient,” said Zeniya.Read Also: Serena Williams, back in the wins, aims to end long Slam record questThe driver was killed at the scene while Momota received cuts to his face and bruising all over his body, Zeniya said, denying previous reports that he had broken his nose and chin.Momota, currently the best player on the planet, enjoyed unrivalled success in 2019, with his title haul including the World Championship, Asia Championship and All England Championship – a dramatic turnaround for a player who had been banned for gambling in 2016.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentThe Best Cars Of All TimeTop 10 Enemies Turned Friends in TVBehind-The-Scenes Selfies From 10 Popular MoviesYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Anime6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesThe Best Geek Movies Of All TimeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?6 Movies Where A Car Plays A Key Role10 Absurd Ideas That Made Their Inventors Millions Badminton world number one Kento Momota arrived in Japan on Wednesday after being released from a Malaysian hospital following a car crash that killed his driver and left him with minor injuries. Badminton world number one Kento Momota arrived in Japan wearing a face mask after sustaining injuries in a road accident The 25-year-old Japanese, who walked past waiting journalists without making a statement, faces two months out after suffering cuts to his face and multiple bruises when the vehicle carrying him to Kuala Lumpur International Airport crashed in the early hours of Monday.Advertisement Loading… last_img read more