Husband, accomplice slapped with murder charge

first_imgBabita Sarjou’s deaththirty-nine-year-old Sharadananda Narine, called “Anand”, and his alleged accomplice 45-year-old DorelDorel ProntonSharadananda NarinePronton, called “Yankee”, who were slapped with a murder charge on Wednesday appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan.The two men were not required to plead to the indictable charge which stated that between November 4, 2010 and May 22, 2016, they murdered Narine’s estranged wife, 28-year-old Babita Sarjou, a mother of one, of Timehri Public Road, East Bank Demerara.Narine and Pronton were remanded to prison by Chief Magistrate McLennan until June 21, pending the post-mortem report and the DNA results.Meanwhile, speaking with the media following the duo’s court appearance, Director of Caribbean American Domestic Violence Awareness (CADVA), Dianne Madray said that she was happy the men were now facing the consequences of their crime, while adding that justice has been served.Champa Seonarine, mother of the now dead woman, was elated that the men were charged.The skeletal remains of Sarjou were discovered at Narine’s Seaforth Street, Campbellville, Georgetown, yard on May 22 – six years after she went missing.Her estranged husband and his accomplice, who were arrested on Saturday, allegedly confessed to the woman’s murder and later led investigators to the spot where they buried her body back in 2010.In early April, Seonarine, along with officials from CADVA had again petitioned for the case to be reopened. Seonarine said all she needed was some closure.The dead woman’s mother at the beginning of the investigations had voiced her belief that her daughter’s estranged husband had something to do with her disappearance.It was also reported that there were several instances of domestic violence and reports made to both the Kitty and Timehri Police Stations by Sarjou against her husband.In 2010, during the initial investigations, the Police held her husband for questioning for 72 hours and then released him.last_img read more